Re: "make check" may have trashed my system

From: Paul J. Menchini
Subject: Re: "make check" may have trashed my system
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:39:38 -0400 (EDT)

Paul (if I may),

>> From: "Paul J. Menchini" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:50:26 -0400 (EDT)

>> I discovered that every non-directory file in
>> / was gone; in particular, the symbolic links /bin, /lib, and /sys (in
>> addition to /tmp and some local symbolic links) and the files /boot,
>> /kadb and /vmunix (as well as some backup versions of /vmunix) were
>> gone.  In addition, my bootblocks on / were trashed.

> Wow, that's the worst autconf bug report I've ever seen.  How in the
> world did "make check" trash the bootblocks?

That's exactly what I'd like to know--along with "how did it also delete
all the non-directory files in /?"

> I presume you were running the tests as root.  (If I'm wrong, then
> there are other problems with your installation -- perhaps you should
> run fsck.)

Indeed, I ran the checks as root.  The system fsck'ed fine.

> If you were running them as root, could you please try running the
> tests as an ordinary user with no special privileges?  You should be
> able to trace them (see trace(1), and use the -f option if I remember
> correctly) and then find out which process is trying to unlink /bin
> and friends.

I will.  I will try to run them today, but if not, this will have to
wait until the 30th, as I'm going to be out of town all next week.

Thanks,

Paul

--
Paul Menchini         | "There must have been a time, probably somewhere near
Menchini & Associates |  the beginning, when we could have said 'no.'"