Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:08:26 -0700

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:48:07PM +0100, Vaclav Barta wrote:
> Stephen Torri wrote:
> > CC="$CXX"
> > AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> > AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
> > LIBTOOL="$LIBTOOL --tag=CXX"
> >
> > Are these calls still necessary to make libtool work with g++?
> > I'm using autoconf (v 2.52), automake (v 1.4) and libtool
> > (1.3.5).
> Well, they sure seem rather dodgy to me... but then, so does

Not really.  The above code was written when the libtool MLB branch
was first formed.  I know because I worked on both the above code and
the MLB branch when it was first formed.  :-)

MLB used to need something like the above to select the C++ tagged
configuration.  When I added automatic inferring of the tagged
configuration to MLB, the explicit "--tag=CXX" above was no longer
needed.

> the whole autoconf / automake / libtool / what did I forget?...
> For my C++ (but not very cross-platform) library (with autoconf
> 2.13 / automake 1.4 / libtoolize 1.3.4), I use
>       AC_PROG_CXX
>       AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> but I'd rather expect the automake workaround (whatever it is) to
> be broken by the new and improved autoconf... YMMV

I'm assuming that this only works with GNU C++, not other C++
compilers since libtool 1.3.4 did not have good support for C++.

> > Also I am receiving the following error:
> >
> > configure.in:385: error: possibly undefined macro:
> > AC_LIBTOOL_CXX
> I'd try to remove it and see what happens (of course it can
> break something silently, but well, that's what the users will
> test)... I'm not using AC_LIBTOOL_CXX and I've never missed
> it... :-)

Again, you're hosed if you try to use an old version libtool with a
C++ compiler other than GNU C++.

AC_LIBTOOL_CXX was needed in the MLB branch in the past.  Now that MLB
has been merged into head, I believe that it is no longer needed.

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <address@hidden>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine