Re: "times" ?!

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: "times" ?!
Date: 15 Aug 2001 11:52:47 +0200

| Tim Van Holder wrote:
| >
| > > For some reason, the generated tests/testsuite contains
| > >     times >at-times
| > > all over the place. What is "times"? I can't find it, and it isn't a
| > > /bin/sh builtin..
| >
| > I think it's a bash builtin which reports the elapsed time
| > of all processes in the current shell.  I'm not sure if other
| > shells have similar commands.

I've tested bash, ash, and zsh before using it.

| > Maybe autotest should test for this:
| >
| > at_times=:
| > times >/dev/null 2>&1 && times=at_times

Why not, indeed.  But what is the actual problem?  There are error
messages escaping for the test suite?

| Shouldn't that be time and not times for portability?

Nope: I want to mesure the duration of a subshell invocation, and I
could not find any portable means to do that:

bash-2.05$ time (echo foo; echo bar)
foo
bar
bash-2.05$ time=time
bash-2.05$ $time (echo foo; echo bar)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(echo'