Re: bad autom4te call by autoconf ?

From: Andreas.P.Priesnitz
Subject: Re: bad autom4te call by autoconf ?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:37:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello again!

On 22 Aug 2001, Akim Demaille wrote:
>| The installation is performed by:
>|
>| make install \
>|  prefix=/home/cfd1/stow/autoconf-2.52b \
>|  exec_prefix=/home/cfd1/alphaev67-dec-osf4.0f/stow/autoconf-2.52b
>
>Arg... That might be the problem.  And maybe not.
>
>Could I ask you to first perform an in-place build?  Then we'll se.
>
>Just a plain ./configure && make check.

Well, I had to install, too, as autoconf will look for Autom4te/General.pm in
/usr/local/share/autoconf in vain, otherwise. Therefore, I tried:

configure --prefix=$HOME    # may not install in /usr/local ...
make check                  # again, no testing performed
make install

But I still get the same output and error message as before (except for
the paths, of course) for

% $HOME/bin/autoconf -v

I would be surprised, anyway, if the problem were dependent on the installation
and search paths, as the correct files are found - it rather seems to be a
matter of the files' contents.

By the way, I use GNU m4 release 1.4 and perl 5.005_01 . The former was
installed the same way as autoconf by myself, the latter by our sysadmin, so I
don't know about details of the perl installation parameters.

Is there something else I could check for?
Thanks in advance!
Andreas