Re: RFC: Autom4te: defining M4 sets

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: RFC: Autom4te: defining M4 sets
Date: 27 Aug 2001 13:08:29 +0200

| On 21 Aug 2001 17:22:56 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
| >
| >     autom4te --mode=autoconf some-weird-input-name.yy -o configure
|
| I'd recommend this for all uses, actually (much like libtool).
| I'm not entirely sure I like the globbing approach, though, as it starts
| to unnecessarily restrict a user's namespace.

I don't understand well how it would restrict anything.  It does
promote some naming conventions, which is indeed something I'm pushing
for, but --mode will always be stronger than patterns.

| > arguments: --include /usr/local/share/autoconf
|
| Hmm - that means you can't really have two concurrent versions of
| Autoconf, with different prefixes.

I don't understand what problem you are referring to here, as two
different Autoconves means two autom4te hence twice that file.

| Maybe this should always get
| autom4te's $prefix (or $datadir) prepended?
| Which would probably mean using
|
| includedir: share/autoconf
| or
| includedir: autoconf

Hm...  Why not.

But I think you are contradicting yourself here, as having the full
path would allow you to have ~/.autom4te defining the modes
autoconf-2.13 and autoconf-2.50 and let the magic happen.

| instead
|
| > # M4sh
| > begin mode: "M4sh"
| > patterns: *.as
| > arguments: --include /usr/local/share/autoconf
| > arguments: m4sugar/m4sh.m4
| > arguments: --mode 755
| > end mode: "M4sh"
| >
| > # M4sugar
| > begin mode: "M4sh"
|
| ~akim/autom4te.cfg:66: error: mode `M4sh' already defined
| :-)

:)

Thanks!

Well, I'm giving a try without the pattern part.  This is really
needed to have a usable Autotest.  Specifying --mode=autotest in a
Makefile is OK.  Giving an absolute path is not.  We'll talk about
patterns later then, once the core of autom4te.cfg works.

Thanks!