Re: Configure.in migration facility

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: Configure.in migration facility
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:44:26 +0200

On Wednesday 29 August 2001 15:30, John Poltorak wrote:
> I understand that Autoconf v2.50 does not work with a number of older apps
> because it is not backwardly compatible with v2.13.
>
> To avoid needing two versions of Autoconf installed, is there anything
> like a migration facility which would convert old configure.in files to a
> format suitable for v2.50? Or alternatively, will v2.50+ be updated to
> provide backward compatibility?

FYI: one compatibility problem a user of our software pointed out:

AC_OUTPUT( [
blah
blahblah
dnl blah blah blah
dnl blahblahfoo
blahblahblah
])

Works fine in AC 2.13, but not 2.5. Akim Demaille offered a simple solution:
remove the 'dnl' lines.

----- stephan
Generic Universal Computer Guy
address@hidden - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862
Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"Perhaps, as has often been said, the trouble with people is not so
much with their ignorance as it is with their knowing so many things
that are not so....." - William A. White