Re: Suggestion for docs: How to configure for a non GPL-compatible proje

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Suggestion for docs: How to configure for a non GPL-compatible project.
Date: 27 Sep 2001 11:53:00 -0700

John W Millaway <address@hidden> writes:

> Our project license is not compatible with the GPL. If you ask a
> programmer, autoconf/automake are the clear winners in terms of
> configuration tools, but if you ask a lawyer... that's another
> matter. It seems the answer is, "it depends on what *exactly* autotools
> puts into the public distribution."

I believe that everything they put into the public distribution has an
explicit license statement at the top, and that license statement is
extremely generous.  Have you tried using them and seeing if those license
statements meet with the approval of your lawyers?

(I think there was a pending issue with one of the automake scripts, but I
believe that was just an oversight and was being resolved.)

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>