Repost: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS problem

From: David Snopek
Subject: Repost: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS problem
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:05:05 -0500

I really need some assistance with this problem, so here is a re-explanation. Here is my directory tree:

project/

  |- configure
  |- configure.in
  |- src/
  |   |
  |   |- main.cpp

  |- libltdl/

      |- configure.in
      |- configure
      |- ltdl.c

This is an over simplification, but you get the idea. The main configure script has a line like "AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(libltdl)". This works in most situations, when I am just passing --enable/--disable arguments to configure. But when I pass a build type for example:

./configure --build=i386-mingw32msvc

The configure script in libltdl gets called with:

./configure --build=i386-mingw32msvc build_alias=i386-mingw32msvc

The configure script then freaks out because it thinks "build_alias=i386-mingw32msvc" is supposed to be the host type!! To me this looks like a bug, but I could just be doing something wrong. I looked through the generated configure script and the m4 macros in /usr/local/share/autoconf and I believe I have traced the problem to acgeneral.m4, lines 1555 to 1566. It appears that the "build_alias=..." argument was intended for config.status but inadvertently got passed to the subdir-configure...

Does anyone have any ideas? I am using autoconf 2.52. Is there an autoconf I upgrade/downgrade to that doesn't have this bug (if it is a bug)?

Thanks!
        -- David Snopek

/-- libksd --