Re: Macro to test for stdbool.h

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Macro to test for stdbool.h
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 19:45:22 -0800

Paul Eggert wrote:

> I very much like the idea of having a macro like this, but I worry
> about the fact that it creates a file stdbool.h.  Suppose that file is
> left around from a previous build: won't that possibly screw up the
> next build if it doesn't want stdbool.h?  Surely the output file
> should be removed before the test is run; it should also be removed if
> config.status is run.

I very much like the idea of having all kinds of magic around
to paper over the gaps (chasms?) some systems have with respect
to POSIX interfaces.  I think this is a start down a libiberty
type road.  I like the idea.  I'm just not sure autoconf is
the right place.  Maybe an "autoposix" project.  :-}  Adding
endless amounts of stuff to the autoconf/automake/libtool trio
is yielding immense distributions, all of which contain
duplicate copies of these tools.  We do need to find a stopping
point.