Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AC_INIT translates PACKAGE to lower case
Date: 31 Jan 2002 12:09:47 +0100

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:
Ralf> If using the new AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE syntax, PACKAGE
Ralf> gets translated to lower case letters. - Why this change?

Akim> Because that's the case for most packages.

Tom> I think the underlying question is, why does autoconf make this
Tom> change at all?

What change?

Tom> Why not let the user write what he intends, and then just respect
Tom> it?  I confess I don't understand the rationale here.

There are two concepts here: the package name (GNU Autoconf), and the
package tarball name (autoconf).  There is no change at all, only
*new* things.