Re: Chances of build success on non-Unix platforms (read: dos/win32)

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Re: Chances of build success on non-Unix platforms (read: dos/win32)
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:10:55 +0000

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:20:56PM +0100, Guido Draheim wrote:
> Es schrieb John Poltorak:
> >
> > Is there any place I can search to find if an app has been succesfully
> > built with autoconf+friends on a non-Unix platform?
> >
> > I'm thinking of trying to build Tar 1.13 and see refences to DOS but have
> > no way of telling whether they are purely historical, (going back to the
> > last millenium  :-) ) or whether there is any likelihood of success
> > nowadays.
> >

> To get it straight - you don't need to run windows to compile
> a program for the win32 platform - use a crossgcc, for the
> linux-to-mingw32 part you'll even find prepacked rpms, or just
> build one yourself (e.g. on solaris) it isn't *that* complicated.
> So, if you just want to have a win32 tar, you don't need to
> leave a typical unix environemnt, and you are saved from
> installling one for win32, in order to create a win32 binary.
>
> hope this sheds some light on it,
> read the rest on at the mingw and cygwin pages,
> and if there are problems with the resulting
> binary, come back, and ask IN THE LIBTOOL mailinglist
> since you SHOULD REALLY use libtool when trying to
> mess with the win32 platform.

I don't really have any intention of messing with the Win32 platform.
My target platform is OS/2, but my hope is that DOS filesystem issues such
as drive letters, and path/dir seperators have been taken into account in
the TAR source code so that I have a reasonable chance of getting it built
straight out of the box.

I guess that depends on whether TAR includes ifdefs for a DOS environment
rather than Win32 or Cygwin.

--
John