Detecting compiler version number

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Detecting compiler version number
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:28:57 +0000

Hi,
        Is there a simple way of determining the version number of the compiler
used to
compile an application? I have written a benchmark, which for consistency of
results should ideally always be compiled with the same compiler (gcc) and
version (2.95.3). Is there a way to check this, and if not print a message
indicating that for most accurate results, gcc 2.95.3 should be used? I'd also
like the software to know of what it was compiled with, so that the datafile
will indicate it was compiled with the wrong compiler.

Clearly as compilers change so the machine code they produce for the same source
will change, so it makes sense to compile a benchmark with only one compiler.

Any suggestions how to implement this?

--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
email: address@hidden