Re: FHS

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: FHS
Date: 11 Feb 2002 15:28:34 +0100

Thomas> Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Personally, I'm somewhat annoyed to see yet more paths going into
>>> Autoconf that I'll then have to override to get the installation
>>> paths that I want (namely a flat tree of bin, sbin, lib, man,
>>> info, and etc); with over five hundred packages installed that way
>>> and using automated tools to maintain Stanford's shared software
>>> tree, I have no intention at the present time of changing our
>>> package layout.  But I suppose I can always continue to override
>>> all the individual paths like I already have to do for
>>> sharedstatedir, libexecdir, and datadir.  (Of course, GNU gettext
>>> has a habit of blissfully ignoring the datadir setting given at
>>> configure time in favor of hard-coding share.  And I'm not sure
>>> anything actually uses sharedstatedir and libexecdir except
>>> Emacs.)

Thomas> The changes here for the GNU Coding Standards (which I'm
Thomas> proposing, and RMS has now agreed to) will not add any new
Thomas> paths, it will simply change some that currently exist.

Akim> Could someone summarize these changes?  I have not seen them in
Akim> standards.texi, although I just updated them :( Can someone
Akim> point me to where Autoconf ought to be adjusted?

What were these changes wrt the documentation and the FHS, please?
Anything that needs one of Automake or Autoconf to be adjusted?