Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 13:45:56 -0500

> the host system by hand, run it, and save its output in, say, try_run.out.
> Then you'd run configure again like this:
>   `cat try_run.out` ../configure
>
> This roughly mirrors what I'm doing by hand as I'm
> trying to cross-compile glib...

I'd recommend using:

  try_run.`config.guess-of-target`

but this is probably obvious.

I think I might like this better than what I'm doing, which is hardcoding
the answers based on the build target inside case statements in the
cross-compile areas of the AC macros.

It might also be nice if we automatically read theis file.  Maybe call it

  config-try-run.`config.guess-of-target`

I have a wrapper script for config.guess that produces names like:

 i686-pc-redhat6.2

(which also does the equivalent thing for Mandrake, something else, and
cygwin), and spits out envaribles so I can also get things like:

CVO=sparc-sun-solaris2.8
CVO_CPU=sparc
CVO_KOSVER=Generic_108528-07
CVO_OS=solaris2.8
CVO_OSNAME=solaris
CVO_OSVER=2.8
CVO_VENDOR=sun

Applications that care make sure these envariables are available at runtime.

This works well for me...