cross-compiling question: static libraries and binaries to different pl

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: cross-compiling question: static libraries and binaries to different places?
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:11:16 -0800

I'm cross-developing.  I want to build a package
that has both static libraries and binaries.
The binaries should go to the target system;
the libraries should stay on the build system.
What do I pass to configure and to make?

If I do
configure --build=pentium-unknown-linux address@hidden@-unknown-linux
--disable-shared --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr
make -C @IXIA_PORTARCH@/src/lib DESTDIR=$(DEST) install

the library ends up in the right place (DEST/usr/lib)
but the binary ends up in the wrong place (DEST/usr/bin).

If instead I do

make -C @IXIA_PORTARCH@/src/lib DESTDIR=$(DEST)/fsimg install
the library ends up in the wrong place (DEST/fsimg/usr/lib)
but the binary ends up in the right place (DEST/fsimg/usr/bin).

What to do?  In cross-development environments, is it not
supported to have static libraries go to the build system,
but binaries go to the target?

- Dan