Re: cross-compiling question: static libraries and binaries to different

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: cross-compiling question: static libraries and binaries to different places?
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:00:49 -0800

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> I've always done this with a two stage build.  Stage 1 is for the build
> system, Stage 2 is for the targeted host system.  If my host name is foo
> and the targeted host is bar then I would do:
>   configure --prefix=/usr --host=foo --build=foo --target=bar
>   make && make install && make clean
>   rm config.cache
>   configure --prefix=/usr --host=bar --build=foo --target=bar
>   make && make install DESTDIR=/depot

I'm not talking about building for two different hosts.  There's
only one host, so only one configure and make should be needed.
It would be ok to run 'make install' more than once, though.  e.g.
    make install-exec DESTDIR=/depot
    make install DESTDIR=/fulldepot
Automake already supports that, kinda.  I think if I configure
to disable static libraries, it does exactly what I want.  (Haven't checked.)
Maybe all I need is something like 'make install-LTLIBRARIES' but
without installing static libraries, even if they are enabled.
- Dan