Re: AC_PATH_PROG fails in 2.53?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AC_PATH_PROG fails in 2.53?
Date: 12 Mar 2002 18:05:53 +0100

| > | AC_DEFUN(CGICC_CHECK_CONFIG, [
| > |   AC_PATH_PROG(CGICC_CONFIG, cgicc-config, no, [$1/bin:$PATH])
| > |   if test "$CGICC_CONFIG" = no; then
| > |     AC_MSG_ERROR(cgicc-config not found in $1/bin:$PATH)
| > |   fi
| > |
| > |   cgicc_libdir=`$CGICC_CONFIG --libdir`
| > |   cgicc_includedir=`$CGICC_CONFIG --includedir`
| > |
| > |   AC_SUBST(cgicc_libdir)
| > |   AC_SUBST(cgicc_includedir)
| > | ])
| > |

| > It looks correct.  What does sh -x ./configure show about this chunk?
|
| It appears that the first path separator is getting skipped over, and
| since the file is in the first directory it isn't seen:
|
| + withval=/tmp
| + test -d /tmp
| + cgicc_prefix=/tmp
| + set dummy cgicc-config
| + ac_word=cgicc-config
| + echo 'configure:2311: checking for cgicc-config'
| + echo -n 'checking for cgicc-config... '
| checking for cgicc-config... + test '' = set
| + as_save_IFS=
|
| + IFS=:
| + IFS=
|
| + test -z /tmp/bin:/usr/local/bin
| + test -f /tmp/bin:/usr/local/bin/cgicc-config
| + IFS=
|
| + test -z /usr/bin
| + test -f /usr/bin/cgicc-config
| + IFS=

Aaaarg.  Yes, of course.

Well, it just happens that you have a problem with something which can
be named a bug, but it turns out it is also bound to something which
is a problem in Autoconf.  This problem is that we should not use `:'
in this argument.  The reason is that on an architecture such as DOS,
where the `:' is `;', then your

        AC_PATH_PROG(CGICC_CONFIG, cgicc-config, no, [$1/bin:$PATH])

requires *two* different splits.  So, would you consider it a shame to
ask you to write

        AC_PATH_PROG(CGICC_CONFIG, cgicc-config, no, [$1/bin $PATH])

instead?  I will explain this in the documentation once I have also
collected other opinions from this list.