Re: Autom4te cache doesn't record m4_include information

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: Autom4te cache doesn't record m4_include information
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:00:03 -0500 (EST)

Akim Demaille writes:

> Peter> Somehow autom4te should make sure it saves the timestamps(?) of
> Peter> all the files that went into creating configure.

Yeah, it does that.  Nevermind...

> Peter> It would also be nice if there was a way to turn off that
> Peter> cache, because after all, why would I be rerunning autoconf if
> Peter> I hadn't changed anything?  It's just taking up half a meg of
> Peter> disk space.
>
> You miss the point: traces mainly.

What if I don't need traces?

And in any case, why is it saving the output file?  I have

$ ls -l autom4te.cache/
total 526
-rw-r--r--    1 peter    peter      480120 Mar 15 12:55 output.0
-rw-r--r--    1 peter    peter        4099 Mar 15 12:55 requests
-rw-r--r--    1 peter    peter       48453 Mar 15 12:55 traces.0

I can live with 50 kB of traces, but I am confused about almost 0.5 MB of
output.0 that I'll never need again.

Also, it would be nice if autom4te would store this cache somewhere other
than in the current directory, for instance in $HOME/.autom4te.  You can
distinguish the input files by absolute name or inode.  It seems much
cleaner to keep this internal data out of the way somehow.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden