Re: C++ compiler check: use library

From: roth . gnu
Subject: Re: C++ compiler check: use library
Date: 16 Mar 2002 10:49:59 -0800

==> "rc" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

    rc> Am Fre, 2002-03-15 um 19.18 schrieb Scott McPeak:

    >> Since this program doesn't use the C++ standard library, it
    >> doesn't test whether that library is correctly installed.
    >>
    >> I get about one report a month from someone who has trouble
    >> with my deployed software because the C++ standard library
    >> isn't installed correctly on Solaris (by default gcc-2.95.x
    >> puts the library in /usr/local/lib, but Solaris' ld.so doesn't
    >> look in /usr/local/lib).

    rc> If so, this would be a bug in gcc.

Yes, the gcc tool chain is responsible for supplying the correct
'-rpath' arguments to ld in order to find the C++ library at runtime.
On occasion I have had to do this by hand, but ultimately it's a
broken gcc installation.

It gets tricky with platforms like HP-UX, where it's easy to reset the
run-time loader path inadvertantly (and thereby lose the C++ library).
I'm pretty sure ELF systems don't have that problem.

Carl