RFC: AC_DEFINE_REPLACE

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: RFC: AC_DEFINE_REPLACE
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:26:42 -0800

> So, I guess you want to do put this into config.h instead:

>   #define func autoconf_rpl_func

[[points and counter points elided...]]

#ifndef FUNC_BROKEN
# define posix_func  func
#else
# define posix_func  autoconf_rpl_func
#endif

:-)

Of course, that means programmers *do* see a mumble_func form.
As a user of this stuff, I want to see first and foremost
something that works.  Secondly, consistency followed by even
more consistency.  It is very nice and smooth to simply
map a broken function name into a fixed up replacement.  However,
if you wind up just pulling on a loose thread, I don't think you
have a solution.  I would rather see ``# define posix_func''
for all ``func''-s posix.  Simple.  Consistent.  One-time cost.
Discovered breakages have obvious fixes.

--

Bruce Korb