Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling (was: Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: AC_TRY_RUN and cross-compiling (was: Re: ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile problems...)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:03:03 -0800

Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:31:33PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > In theory, sure.  However, I've never seen anyone do anything
> > fancy in the 'if-cross-compiling' case but pick a default.
>
> In practice, I have done exactly what I suggested in ACE's configure
> script, i.e. fallback on a compile/link-time test for the
> "action-if-cross-compiling" case.  I'm sure there are other autoconf
> users out there besides me that have done similar.

To be honest, Dimi and I did just that last week when modifying
glib2's configure script to cross-compile.  The native case was
doing a horrible kludge to avoid including the normal Posix include files
to get POLLIN; in the cross-compile case only, we replaced that
with something simple that assumes Posix include files.
It's a sneaky way of ripping out cruft: do it only in the
case the normal development team doesn't care about, to maximize
the chances the patch will be accepted :-)

Say, does that mean ACE has a working autoconf-generated configure
script now, or are you describing an unfinished project?

Thanks,
Dan