Re: Patch: gcc-3.0.4 workaround for AS_SPARC64_FLAG/autoconf-2.53

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: Patch: gcc-3.0.4 workaround for AS_SPARC64_FLAG/autoconf-2.53
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 09:33:32 -0700

Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:08:30AM -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> >       autoconf-2.53 does not allow AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED variables
> > that begin with "AS_", reserving that part of the name space for
> > autoconf m4sugar macros.  I think autoconf should allow this and
> > just issue a warning, but it would probably be a good idea to fix
> > the gcc tree to avoid this, even if it does become just a warning
> > in a future autoconf release.  So, the following patch to gcc-3.0.4
> > just globally replaces AS_SPARC64_FLAG with ASM_SPARC64_FLAG.
>
> there's no good reason for autoconf to start poaching on symbols that
> don't begin with AC_.  File it as a bug in autoconf.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen projects using macros that start
with AC_ (orbit has one, I think).  Maybe they do this for macros
they want to propose for inclusion in autoconf.  Will autoconf
choke on these, too?

(I wonder how to find all of these... I suppose searching through
the debian source tree and bsd port system for all instances of
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED might be a good start...)

- Dan