Different versions of autoconf cause problems here...

From: Andreas Bauer
Subject: Different versions of autoconf cause problems here...
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:13:57 +0200

Dear list,

hopefully I'm not asking a FAQ, but even after a lot of googling and
manual reading I did not find a definite answer to this:  what is to do
if envoking the configure script produces errors such as:

 autoheader: missing template: ENABLE_NLS
 autoheader: missing template: HAVE_CATGETS
 autoheader: missing template: HAVE_GETTEXT
 autoheader: missing template: HAVE_LC_MESSAGES

I could add them to my local acconfig.h script, but that is deprecated
with recent autoconf versions (yes, it's in the manual).  However, this
would solve the problem -- temporarily.

I'm author of a free software program and I keep getting questions
regarding the configuration, even though everything works fine on my
own system, which is:

 autoconf 2.13
 automake 1.5

I'd appreciate any hints from you.  I guess, either the users have to up-
or downgrade their autotools, as it happens to people using autoconf 2.53
as well.  But I'm not sure really, and I'd like to have a solution that
will make _all_ users equally as happy.

Thank you very much in advance,
Andi.