preprocessor definitions with am, ac and ah without template files

From: Christian Kreibich
Subject: preprocessor definitions with am, ac and ah without template files
Date: 09 Jul 2002 18:05:53 +0200

Hi,

I'm in trouble with autoconf 2.50 (or newer) and automake 1.5 (or
newer). Since upgrading from my trusted 2.13/1.4 combination where
things still used to work, autoheader has been spitting out the warning

WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':
WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.

I used to use acconfig.h. So I thouht I'd try to clean this up, have
removed acconfig.h, and updated my configure.ac accordingly. After
adding AC_CONFIG_HEADERS to configure.ac, autoheader is happy, but
automake fails with "automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not
`AC_CONFIG_HEADER'". If I use AM_CONFIG_HEADER instead, autoheader
complains "autoheader2.50: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in
configure.ac".

So, how do I solve this? automake still appears to be doing its job, but
returns an error code of 1 which causes make to abort. I've tried a
number of version combinations and am now on ac 2.53 and am 1.6.2, but I
just cannot work around this.

On a more general note, is there a best practices document or anything
around that explains recommended combinations of ac/am versions, common
pitfalls for newer ac/am versions etc? I've found using ac+am to be a
world of pain since ac 2.50.

Thanks, cheers,
Christian.
                                                    http://www.whoop.org