Re: Suspected bug with Autoconf built configures and SunOS 4.1.3_U1

From: Paul Frommeyer
Subject: Re: Suspected bug with Autoconf built configures and SunOS 4.1.3_U1
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:08:43 -0700

Paul, thanks for the followup.

| It could be a problem with your locally installed shells.  Can you
| please send the output of the command "/bin/sh -x configure --help"
| while executing in your Bison directory?

I'll check and see if there are any outstanding patches I haven't
installed that deal with shell issues. Meanwhile, I've attached the
requested command output below. The configure script is straight from
the distribution and hasn't been "tampered with". For completeness, I'll
mention that I have GCC 2.8.1 and GNU Make 3.77 installed, tho I can't see
where either of those would be involved in the configuration script. Let me
know if there's any additional info you'd like.

| We still try to support SunOS 4.x, but I don't know of any Autoconf
| developers who still have access to SunOS 4.x boxes (my company
| retired our last one a couple of years ago) so we have to rely on user
| bug reports to keep us honest.

In case that's an oblique request to give one or more of the core autoconf
devlopment team access to my server, if you're willing to jump through
the usual hoops of exchanging PGP keys etc. we can probably work something
out. Modulo going to that level of effort for lowly SunOS, I'm happy to
continue assisting in running this to ground in whatever way I can. :-)

As always, many thanks to the entire autoconf team for the time and
effort involved in keeping those configure scripts humming along.
Best regards,
        Paul

---[snip]---
/local/src/bison-1.35%sh
$ /bin/sh -x ./configure --help
+ expr a : \(a\)
as_expr=expr
+ mkdir -p .
as_mkdir_p=:
+ test -n
+ test -n
as_unset=unset
+ set +x
LANG=C
+ export LANG
+ set +x
LC_ALL=C
+ export LC_ALL
+ set +x
LC_TIME=C
+ export LC_TIME
+ set +x
LC_CTYPE=C
+ export LC_CTYPE
+ set +x
LANGUAGE=C
+ export LANGUAGE
+ set +x
LC_COLLATE=C
+ export LC_COLLATE
+ set +x
LC_NUMERIC=C
+ export LC_NUMERIC
+ set +x
LC_MESSAGES=C
+ export LC_MESSAGES
as_me=configure
as_cr_letters=abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
as_cr_LETTERS=ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
as_cr_Letters=abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
as_cr_digits=0123456789
as_cr_alnum=abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789
+ test  != set
+ echo #! /bin/sh
+ echo exit 0
+ chmod +x conftest.sh
PATH_SEPARATOR=:
+ rm -f conftest.sh
as_lineno_1=
as_lineno_2=
as_lineno_3=
+ test x != x
as_myself=./configure
+ test x./configure = x
+ test ! -f ./configure
as_save_IFS=

IFS=:
IFS=

+ test -z /bin
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/bin
IFS=

+ test -z /home/paul/bin
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/local/etc
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/local/gcc/bin
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/local/mh
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/local/lib/mh
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/local/bin
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/local
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/lib
IFS=

+ test -z /etc
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/etc
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/local/domain
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/bsd
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/ucb
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/bin
IFS=

+ test -z /usr/sbin
IFS=

+ test -z /bin
+ + sedsed  =
      s,$,-,
      : loop
      s,^\([0123456789]*\)\(.*\)[$]LINENO\([^abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHI
JKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789_]\),\1\2\1\3,
      t loop
      s,-$,,
      s,^[0123456789]*\n,,

+ chmod +x configure.lineno
+ . ./configure.lineno
[...]
+ test set != set
as_lineno_1=105
as_lineno_2=106
as_lineno_3=106
+ test x105 != x106
+ test x106 = x106
+ echo testing\c
+ echo 1,2,3
+ echo -n testing
+ echo 1,2,3
ECHO_T= ECHO_C= ECHO_N=-n
+ expr a : \(a\)
as_expr=expr
+ rm -f conf5294 conf5294.exe conf5294.file
+ echo
+ ln -s conf5294.file conf5294
+ test -f conf5294.exe
as_ln_s=ln -s
+ rm -f conf5294 conf5294.exe conf5294.file
as_executable_p=test -f
as_tr_cpp=sed y%*abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz%PABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ%;s%[^_ab
cdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]%_%g
as_tr_sh=sed y%*+%pp%;s%[^_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0
123456789]%_%g
as_nl=

IFS=

+ unset CDPATH
+ sed 1q
ac_hostname=milo
+ exec
ac_default_prefix=/usr/local
cross_compiling=no
subdirs=
MFLAGS=
MAKEFLAGS=
SHELL=/bin/sh
+ : 38
PACKAGE_NAME=GNU Bison
PACKAGE_TARNAME=bison
PACKAGE_VERSION=1.35
PACKAGE_STRING=GNU Bison 1.35
address@hidden
ac_includes_default=#include <stdio.h>
#if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
# include <sys/types.h>
#endif
#if HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
# include <sys/stat.h>
#endif
#if STDC_HEADERS
# include <stdlib.h>
# include <stddef.h>
#else
# if HAVE_STDLIB_H
#  include <stdlib.h>
# endif
#endif
#if HAVE_STRING_H
# if !STDC_HEADERS && HAVE_MEMORY_H
#  include <memory.h>
# endif
# include <string.h>
#endif
#if HAVE_STRINGS_H
# include <strings.h>
#endif
#if HAVE_INTTYPES_H
# include <inttypes.h>
#else
# if HAVE_STDINT_H
#  include <stdint.h>
# endif
#endif
#if HAVE_UNISTD_H
# include <unistd.h>
#endif
ac_init_help=
ac_init_version=false
cache_file=/dev/null
exec_prefix=NONE
no_create=
no_recursion=
prefix=NONE
program_prefix=NONE
program_suffix=NONE
program_transform_name=s,x,x,
silent=
site=
srcdir=
verbose=
x_includes=NONE
x_libraries=NONE
bindir=${exec_prefix}/bin
sbindir=${exec_prefix}/sbin
libexecdir=${exec_prefix}/libexec
datadir=${prefix}/share
sysconfdir=${prefix}/etc
sharedstatedir=${prefix}/com
localstatedir=${prefix}/var
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include
oldincludedir=/usr/include
infodir=${prefix}/info
mandir=${prefix}/man
ac_prev=
+ test -n
+ expr x--help : x[^=]*=\(.*\)
ac_optarg=
ac_init_help=long
+ test -n
+ echo exec_prefix
+ eval ac_val=$exec_prefix
ac_val=NONE
+ echo prefix
+ eval ac_val=$prefix
ac_val=NONE
+ echo bindir
+ eval ac_val=$bindir
ac_val=${exec_prefix}/bin
+ echo sbindir
+ eval ac_val=$sbindir
ac_val=${exec_prefix}/sbin
+ echo libexecdir
+ eval ac_val=$libexecdir
ac_val=${exec_prefix}/libexec
+ echo datadir
+ eval ac_val=$datadir
ac_val=${prefix}/share
+ echo sysconfdir
+ eval ac_val=$sysconfdir
ac_val=${prefix}/etc
+ echo sharedstatedir
+ eval ac_val=$sharedstatedir
ac_val=${prefix}/com
+ echo localstatedir
+ eval ac_val=$localstatedir
ac_val=${prefix}/var
+ echo libdir
+ eval ac_val=$libdir
ac_val=${exec_prefix}/lib
+ echo includedir
+ eval ac_val=$includedir
ac_val=${prefix}/include
+ echo oldincludedir
+ eval ac_val=$oldincludedir
ac_val=/usr/include
+ echo infodir
+ eval ac_val=$infodir
ac_val=${prefix}/info
+ echo mandir
+ eval ac_val=$mandir
ac_val=${prefix}/man
build=
host=
target=
+ test x != x
ac_tool_prefix=
+ test -n
+ test  = yes
+ test -z
ac_srcdir_defaulted=yes
ac_confdir=.
srcdir=.
+ test ! -r ./
+ test ! -r ./
+ + echosed  .s%\([^\/]\)[\/]*$%\1%

srcdir=.
ac_env_build_alias_set=
ac_env_build_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_value=
ac_env_host_alias_set=
ac_env_host_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_value=
ac_env_target_alias_set=
ac_env_target_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_value=
ac_env_CC_set=
ac_env_CC_value=
ac_cv_env_CC_set=
ac_cv_env_CC_value=
ac_env_CFLAGS_set=
ac_env_CFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value=
ac_env_LDFLAGS_set=
ac_env_LDFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value=
ac_env_CPPFLAGS_set=
ac_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
ac_env_CPP_set=
ac_env_CPP_value=
ac_cv_env_CPP_set=
ac_cv_env_CPP_value=
+ test long = long
+ cat
./configure: /tmp/sh52940: No such file or directory
+ cat
./configure: /tmp/sh52941: No such file or directory
+ cat
./configure: /tmp/sh52942: No such file or directory
+ test -n long
+ cat
./configure: /tmp/sh52943: No such file or directory
+ test long = recursive
+ test -n long
+ exit 0
$

Paul "Corwin" Frommeyer                                        address@hidden
Webmaster, Paul's Fone Company                                   www.palas.com
    Internet Engineers: Connectivity, Firewalls, Cisco routers a specialty
              "Dependencies, dependencies, all is dependencies!"