Re: Suspected bug with Autoconf built configures and SunOS 4.1.3_U1

From: Paul Frommeyer
Subject: Re: Suspected bug with Autoconf built configures and SunOS 4.1.3_U1
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 12:17:19 -0700

Yep, looks like I'm being educated.

| I checked Sun's bug database, and apparently the SunOS 4.1.3 /bin/sh
| has a bug in this area.  Do you have contract access to the Sun bug
| reports at sunsolve.sun.com?  If so, can you please try the test cases
| in the following bug reports?  The first bug report is also mentioned
| in <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2hpalp%247ip%40bosnia.pop.psu.edu>.

I don't have contract access. This may also explain my failure to produce
anything by searching the patch archives. Certainly, a search of the free
archives did not produce any patches for these bug ID's, tho in the past
Sunsolve has displayed both free and contract-only patches on a search, so
I'll check for some sort of operator error.

[snip]
| The bug is reportedly not present in the SunOS 4.1.1 /bin/sh, or in
| the SunOS 4.1.4 /bin/sh.  Do you have access to a copy of a SunOS
| 4.1.1 /bin/sh (which should run in SunOS 4.1.3), or to some other
| shell like pdksh or bash?

I'll attempt to search my CD-ROM vaults and see if I have an earlier
SunOS disc. I'll also look into tracking down an alternate shell, at
worst I can always launch myself into a porting excercise from one of the
BSD's, tho I'd *really* like to avoid that. I'll also check into the
cost of obtaining contract support, at least for this year, which
would sort all this out. In the event I'm able to successfully run this
to ground, I'll send a followup.

The evidence is overwhelming that my supposedly up-to-date-patched system
isn't. While as I feared this ended up being sysadmin error, I'm glad the
trouble looks to be in my set and not in autoconf. With massive
apologies for troubling the list due to a lack of proper support resources,
        Best regards,
                Paul

Paul "Corwin" Frommeyer                                        address@hidden
Webmaster, Paul's Fone Company                                   www.palas.com
    Internet Engineers: Connectivity, Firewalls, Cisco routers a specialty
              "Dependencies, dependencies, all is dependencies!"