Re: configure vs. multi-build environments

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: configure vs. multi-build environments
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:42:14 -0400

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:24:05PM -0400, Troy Cauble wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I write a lot of Makefiles that support a codebase that builds for
> a handful of targets.  Basically, every Makefile does
>
>     make -C <build_dir> -f ../Makefile SECOND_TIME=1 $@
>
> where <build_dir> is determined by environment variables.
> Some of the "alternate" build environments are cross-compiles
> for embedded targets, some are other local builds on machines
> that NFS mount my working directories.
>
> This gives me the ability build and test changes to my working
> directories on multiple targets without copying a lot of
> files back and forth.  Also, the object files for one environment
> don't get blown away when I compile & test another.
>

> Now, I'd like to integrate a large, third-party, configure-based
> codebase into this environment.  I'd like to have the same capabilities
> listed in the previous paragraph, although the mechanism can
> be different.
>
> What's the best way to achieve this?

I don't know how you should integrate this with your set up,
so I can't address "best way" ...

However, the canonical method for multiple builds with
*properly*-set-up configure-based code is pretty simple:

    mkdir build_dir1
    cd build_dir1
    ../configure ... options for platform 1 ...
    make

    cd ..

    mkdir build_dir2
    cd build_dir2
    ../configure ... options for platform 2 ...
    make

HTH,
-Steve