Re: Problem with symlinks and VPATH Builds

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Problem with symlinks and VPATH Builds
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 00:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: 04 Sep 2002 10:45:05 +0200
>
> The Autoconf documentation was documenting how to work around the
> CDPATH issues without `unset', because in Makefiles that's usually
> what's done.  For instance, with CVS Automake:
>
> % grep CDPATH Makefile
> am__cd = CDPATH="$${ZSH_VERSION+.}$(PATH_SEPARATOR)" && cd

Given the previous discussion, I think this should be rewritten
as follows:

am__cd = $(UNSET) CDPATH && cd

where UNSET expands to "unset" or to ":".

Perhaps I'll fix Automake to do that.  First, though, I have to get
Automake working on my usual platform (Solaris 8).  Automake is badly
broken right now (it assumes Perl 5.6, it assumes GNU make, and
probably some other unportable assumptions like that).

Since Autoconf insists on the latest Automake this means I can't
easily work on Autoconf now either, sigh.