Re: License and replacement files

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: License and replacement files
Date: 13 Sep 2002 14:16:22 +0200

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

Russ> There are some tests in Autoconf (AC_FUNC_GETLOADAVG is one of
Russ> favorite examples) where the test is essentially worthless to
Russ> someone who isn't either using a specific replacement routine or
Russ> knows quite a lot about how to reimplement that function.

I think AC_FUNC_GETLOADAVG is the only example, is it not?

I agree this is a problem.  How did you solve this issue?

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to introduce a macro such as AC_GPL,
or AC_CONFIG_GPL or whatever, but which meaning is `this project is
gpl'd and I have the right to use these replacement functions'.

Or maybe AC_CONFIG_LICENSE(gpl).

Why does it matter?

Because I would like (asap) to have Autoconf ship the replacement
files, and centralize them.  Then, autoreconf --install would install
these files (that's there were so many changes around AC_LIBOBJ, and
AC_CONFIG_LIBOBJ_DIR etc.).

Autoconf would be shipped with several hierarchies of these files:

        lib/gpl/
                fnmatch.c, fnmatch.h
                getloadavg.c
        lib/pd/