aclocal question (AM_ICONV)

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: aclocal question (AM_ICONV)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:13:31 -0700

I'm not building my aclocal.m4 correctly, so it seems.

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.54
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4

I wanted to use the AM_ICONV macro which is in the gettext package in a
configure.in file.  I installed gettext, and the macros m4 were installed
in /usr/local/share/aclocal.  aclocal is looking in /usr/share/aclocal.

> aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 154: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library

But:

> aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal
aclocal: /usr/local/share/aclocal/gettext.m4: 59: duplicated macro
`AM_GNU_GETTEXT'
aclocal: /usr/local/share/aclocal/lcmessage.m4: 23: duplicated macro
`AM_LC_MESSAGES'
aclocal: /usr/local/share/aclocal/progtest.m4: 25: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST'

And aclocal.m4 is not written.  Ok, so if I copy iconv.m4 to
/usr/share/aclocal:

# cp /usr/local/share/aclocal/iconv.m4 /usr/share/aclocal/

> aclocal && ls aclocal.m4
aclocal.m4

Ok, so that worked.  But now I get a bunch of errors running autoconf for
macros that are in my new aclocal.m4 file.  Seems like I'm still missing
some macros.

> autoconf
configure.in:154: warning: AC_LIB_PREPARE_PREFIX is m4_require'd but is not
m4_defun'd
configure.in:154: warning: AC_LIB_RPATH is m4_require'd but is not m4_defun'd
configure:5534: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIB_PREPARE_PREFIX
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure:5535: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIB_RPATH
configure:5540: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_BODY
configure:5548: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIB_APPENDTOVAR

I'm fear I'm missing an important step.  Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

BTW -- are there macros available for testing libxml2 and zlib?

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:address@hidden