Re: autoconf-x.y.z and environment variables: feature or misfeature?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: autoconf-x.y.z and environment variables: feature or misfeature?
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 02:00:55 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:21:27 -0700 (MST)
> From: "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <address@hidden>

> However, I suspect that in the great majority of uses of
> AC_CHECK_PROGS() and its companions, the programmer intended to find
> an executable program.

An executable program at run-time, yes.  But this is quite a different
thing from the situation at configure-time.  Quite often I want to
configure a program for an environment other than the one I'm running
on.

Perhaps AC_CHECK_PROGS should use an environment variable named
"TEX_PROG" rather than one named "TEX", when checking for tex.
That would tend to lessen the confusion.

Unfortunately it would be an incompatible change.