Where does AC_CHECK_LIB look?

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Where does AC_CHECK_LIB look?
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:39:40 -0800

Hi,

I thought I'd finally learn to use the GNU "auto tools". It went surprizingly well. I was able to toss out my hand written make files for a ~20K LOC C project after one afternoon. Now I'm trying to make my build system more robust and have a question I can't find answers to in the manual and yes, I've even tried reading the source

  1) Where does AC_CHECK_LIB look when it checks for libraries?
  2) How can I get it to look in a few more places?

As an example I have "libfoobar" in /some/wierd/place/lib. and
the folloing _always_ fails_

  AC_CHECK_LIB(foobar TwelveBarBlues)

But the makefile built by automake/autoconf works!  (I don't know
why, maybe because I have /some/wierd/place/bin in $PATH?) It puts the correct -I, -l and -L options in so that libfoobar and foobar.h are found. OK I am happy that I can build by program but the error message from AC_CHECK_LIB is frustrating