Re: [RFC] Short- and medium-term proposal for AC_CHECK_* overhauling

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [RFC] Short- and medium-term proposal for AC_CHECK_* overhauling
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 09:21:25 +0200

> > Returning the correct exit code for the shell function.  I'd rather make
> > the shell
> > function's purpose as limited as possible (getting a name and computing a
> > cache
> > variable, that is resembling a "macro" more than a "full-featured" embedded
> > script.

By the way, I saw that the M4sh test suite does include a test for returning an
exit
code for the function, so my point was moot.  But the other one (about the
ability to
replace shell function invocations with specialized macros) holds.

Besides I think that (at most) 200 test builtins are not worth being worried
about,
when M4sh initialization and processing command-line arguments takes 4 seconds
on my
PII/266 under Cygwin -- during which configure has not even yet printed
"checking
whether the build environment is sane".

Paolo