Re: Autoconf on new platforms

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Autoconf on new platforms
Date: 17 Jul 2003 15:20:57 -0700

Dan Kalowsky <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been recently tasked with getting autoconf to work upon the EROS
> Operating System (http://www.eros-os.org).  I'm wondering if there is some
> documentation that I can be pointed towards to help aid in this operation.

Other than Autoconf itself, you might look at
<http://autotoolset.sourceforge.net/>.

> - there is no native shell environment yet, so everything needs to use
>   cross build tools.  Besides setting the CC flag, is there some way to
>   automate this?

Setting CC etc. is the usual way.

> - Under config.sub, what options will need to be added?  My current belief
>   is that adding an entry to the "First accept basic system types" list of
>   -eros* is enough.

config.sub is supposed to be self-explanatory *cough*.

When you have a patch you like, please send it to <address@hidden>.

> - is there a way to pre-define many of the many of the defines for an EROS
>   specific build?  I.E. we know that gettext does not exist on EROS, but
>   all checks discover it because of the host OS having it

Sounds like you're not setting up cross-builds correctly.

> - Is it possible to disable many of the compile tests?  Due to the nature
>   of the EROS system, many of these checks will fail unless specifically
>   given/granted a capability by the user.

I don't know what a "capability" is here, but the basic idea of "configure"
is that you're supposed to be querying the compiler by running the compiler.
If that doesn't match what you're doing, then perhaps you're using the
wrong tool (or the wrong approach).