Re: AC_TYPE_MBSTATE_T

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: AC_TYPE_MBSTATE_T
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:00:41 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 08:57:11PM -0400, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Paul Eggert wrote:
> > Autoconf generates a script that attempts to compile with -Ae option
> > on HP-UX 10.20 and later.  That sounds related.  Perhaps HP-UX's -Ae
> > option is doing something that GCC also should be doing.  But you'll
> > need somebody on the ground in HP-land to check this out.
>
> not even close...
> defining _XOPEN_SOURCE=500 was the simplest fix I found.

I suggested this to Dirk Heinrichs (the author of the orignal bug report),
but it didn't work.  Please see
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-utils/2003-07/msg00378.html and
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-utils/2003-07/msg00385.html

I am not qualified to judge this, but I guess that Paul's suggestion might
be true.  If you (Thomas) are willing to work with Dirk Heinrichs to find
a solution (and if D.H. still has spare time to help GNU), I'd be interested
to hear the results.

So it seems that the only known fix at the moment is to include the header.

For now, I'm not able to invent better solution then this:
1) update the configure script to use AC_FUNC_MBRTOWC; this effectively
   disables multibyte support on hosts with this problem.
2) document the hack with including sys/_mbstate_t.h in README.hpux .

Unless a better solution is found, I'll submit this to the gawk maintainer.

Thank you,
        Stepan Kasal