how to determine that UNIX Advisory lock availability

From: Richard Bos
Subject: how to determine that UNIX Advisory lock availability
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:52:14 +0200

Hello,

My next question, is about how to determine that UNIX Advisory lock can
be used on a system.  This is used in the database application that I'm trying
to port to the autoconf.  The description is as follows:

ADVLOCK: "Define to use UNIX Advisory lock with L<relation> lock files."

This is all I have.

At the moment we think that the definition depends on F_GETLK and/or F_SETLK,
may this be a valid assumption (e.g. F_GETLK and F_SETLK are not present
present on each system)?

The define name that is used at the moment is ADVLOCK and if set
includes the following in the sourced file:

#ifdef   ADVLOCK

#include <sys/utsname.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

struct LOCKREC {
    char fn[MAXPATH+4];    /* Full path name to lock file allowing for "/./"
or "././" prefix */
    int fd;       /* File descriptor of lock file */
    struct stat   buf;     /* output from fstat(2) on lock file */
};

static struct LOCKREC *Lockrec; /* Pointer to array structs */
static int Numlockrec;     /* Number of locked files */

#define NUMLOCKREC 2    /* Allocate room for this many lock
             * file entries per allocation call.
             */

static struct utsname uts_name;  /* unix system/node name for lock file */

#endif

Further down in the file F_GETLK is used which comes from the header
file fcntl.h:
if ( ( fcntl( lockfd, F_GETLK, &flockbuf ) == 0 )

F_GETLK is present on my system via /usr/include/fcntl.h which includes
/usr/include/bits/fcntl.h (Same can be said about F_SETLK which is used
as well:
if ( fcntl( lockfd, F_SETLK, &flockbuf ) == 0 )

> cgrep -E "F_GETLK|F_SETLK" /usr/include/bits/fcntl.h
# define F_GETLK        5       /* Get record locking info.  */
# define F_SETLK        6       /* Set record locking info (non-blocking).  */

configure already checks for fcntl.h, but how to check for the presence of
F_GETLK and or F_SETLK

Should there be a new macro written, that does something with:
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
...do something with F_SETLK