Re: configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:14:03 -0800

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 07:07:02PM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> > Can someone comment on this?
> > Trying to understand if this problem is due to my configure.in script,
> > the debian packages, or autoconf.
>
> I do know that libtool 1.5 will switch the current language to C++ and
> will attempt to test the C++ pre-processor regardless of whether your
> project uses C++.  Are you using libtool 1.5?

Yes, I'm using the debian packaged libtool 1.5-4.

> When the project doesn't use C++, treating the failed C++ "/lib/cpp"
> as a fatal error is atrocious.

I would agree.  Although, on the surface it seems odd to me that if /lib/cpp
calls
cc1plus that (in debian) cpp would not depend on the package that
includes cc1plus.  But perphaps there's other uses of /lib/cpp that
don't call that cc1plus.

> Development libtool allows you to specify which languages to configure
> so you can limit configuration to C.

Something to look forward to.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,

--