compile order of LDFLAGS and LIBS

From: Brian White
Subject: compile order of LDFLAGS and LIBS
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:20:07 -0500

Package: autoconf
Version: 2.53

When testing for the existance of functions in libraries, the LIBS
variable is located after the LDFLAGS variable.  I was wondering if it
would make more sense to always put the LDFLAGS variable at the end.

Currently:

ac_link='$CC -o conftest$ac_exeext $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext
$LIBS >&5'

Suggested:

ac_link='$CC -o conftest$ac_exeext $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS
$LDFLAGS >&5'

The reason for this is some LDFLAGS (such as "-lc" required for uclinux)
have to be at the end of the line.

I tried setting the LIBS variable to "-lc" on the command line (while
removing it from the LDFLAGS variable) and that worked for the initial
configure but failed if I did ./config-status --recheck because the
LIBS varible was not saved and re-set (though CFLAGS and LDFLAGS were).

                                          Brian
                                 ( address@hidden )

     Differences are good.  If two people agree, one of them is redundant.