Re: problems compiling autoconf

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: problems compiling autoconf
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:40:30 -0500

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 07:54:15AM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> just seen far too many postings on various lists where
> people downloaded a package (all packages built with the autotools) and
> ran into problems when _not_ using GNU make.

FWIW, it's clear to me from reading the Automake list that
portability of Automake-generated Makefiles is very important to
that tool's maintainers.  So the above assertion is quite
surprising, and if it's accurate, I'm sure the Automake folks
would find it rather alarming.

> So the OP's question implied that his make program was not able to
> handle autoconf's Makefile... does this mean that autoconf is at fault here?

Well, I rather doubt that OpenBSD "make" is intentionally
unsupported; thus, the observed behaviour would indeed seem to be
a bug.  Whether the bug is in one of Autoconf's Makefile.am's, or
in Automake's processing of a correct Makefile.am, I wouldn't
know.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau