Re: sed 4.0e (built with autoconf 2.59a) works on 45 platforms

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: sed 4.0e (built with autoconf 2.59a) works on 45 platforms
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:27:36 +0100

> > What's still remaining for autoconf 2.60 to reach beta stage?
>
> I don't know of any showstopper bugs.

Actually I know of something that looks like a bug to me.  It's been there
forever and is something that I don't have an explanation for.  When
cross-compiling, autoconf accepts a bare name for a tool (e.g. "ld" for a
cross-linker); gcc has special macros to exclude cross tools without a prefix.
Is there a reason to do so?

Paolo