PACKAGE_STRING

From: christian
Subject: PACKAGE_STRING
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:45:26 +0100 (CET)

 Hello,

I use autoconf 2.59...

AC_INIT generates a PACKAGE_STRING preprocessor variable which includes a blank
between the package name and its version. When not using a config.h, but
letting the Makefile use -D switches for the preprocessor variables, the POSIX
shell under HP UX 11.00 complains:

 f95 -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"f90_preproc\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"f90_preproc\"
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"0.1\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"f90_preproc\ 0.1\"
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"address@hidden" -DPACKAGE=\"f90_preproc\"
-DVERSION=\"0.1\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=  -I. -I.     -g -c -o sub.o sub.F90
Unrecognised file suffix .1"

(the problem is related to the -DPACKAGE_STRING=...) I guess it's a problem
with the shell implementation on that platform; it works well on other
platforms I've tried. One way around it is to use the older syntax, as this
leaves the PACKAGE_* variables as empty strings. This certainly isn't  the best
way to go, or ist it? Of course, I could also make use of a config.h, but I
just don't see the point in adding a config.h for the only file that requires
preprocessing, simply because one OS has a buggy shell.

Is it possible to disable the output of the PACKAGE_* variables, or change them?

Thanks a lot,

 Christian.

Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime