getting started

From: Rob Benton
Subject: getting started
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:32:19 -0500

Hey everybody, I'm just getting started with all the autotools and I was looking for a little help. I've been over all I could find about the autoconf and m4 docs but I'm not quite clear and how to write my own macros and what format they should be in. All the autoconf docs refer to the m4 docs on the subject of writing macros. Using just m4 syntax in the aclocal.m4 file didn't seem to work.

Just an example of what I've tried to do today. I wanted to write a macro that checks the CXX compiler and set some other variable, say LDFLAGS, differently depending on if 'g++' or 'xlC_r' was found. This is what I put in each file:

configure.ac:
AC_SUBST([LDFLAGS], [AC_TEST_ME([CXX])])

aclocal.m4:
AC_DEFUN([AC_TEST_ME],
         [ifelse($1, [g++], [-shared],
            $1, [xlC_r], [-G])]
      )

But only the literal "CXX" gets passed in to my macro and I don't know how to extract its value if that's possible. So am I going about this the right way?