Re: trouble searching for libs

From: Scott Hawley
Subject: Re: trouble searching for libs
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:41:35 -0500

Hi, is there a way I can tell autoconf/configure WHERE to look for files, e.g. via a LIB_PATHS environment variable? I've been reading documentation and haven't found this info.

Read the file "INSTALL" for just about any GNU package (e.g. the package known as "Autoconf") and you will find the information you are looking for. You will also find this information in the GNU programming standards manual.

Hmm... I downloaded the latest Autoconf source, read the INSTALL file, ran "configure --help", read the README.... and found NO mention whatsoever of how to specify a set of directories in which to *search*. The closest thing was under "Optional Features":
   For packages that use the X Window System, `configure' can usually
find the X include and library files automatically, but if it doesn't,
you can use the `configure' options `--x-includes=DIR' and
`--x-libraries=DIR' to specify their locations.

Also, GNU Coding Standards, section 7.1 ("How Configuration Scripts Should Work") doesn't seem to tell me how to specify a set of search paths.

Still open for suggestions.
-Scott