No rule to make target

From: Fred J.
Subject: No rule to make target
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:30:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello
I have done all I can to understand and follow the GNU
build system in my learning steps so far.
I am getting this error:
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/sam/Hello_world/src'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `print.cpp',
needed by `print.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sam/Hello_world/src'

well, the Makefile in the directory mentioned in the
error has been generated by the "Build system".
all the following steps succeeded;
libtoolize
autoheader
touch NEWS README AUTHORS ChangeLog stamp-h
aclocal
autoconf
automake -a
./configure
but the problem happens when I run
make
the Makefile is quite long and I really don't think it
should be fixed by changing things in the makefile but
to findout what is wrong with my makefile.am
or configure.ac in the parent directory, both of which
I think I get them right.

any suggestions is really appreciated.

thanks