Re: m4sugar.m4

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: m4sugar.m4
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:52:23 +0200

>>> "Gary" == Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

 > Hi,

 > Would you mind if I ship an implementation of m4sugar.m4 with the
 > next release of GNU m4, with an eye to replacing parts of it with
 > C at some point?

There are some issues in m4sugar that were waiting for a better C
implementation.  In particular:

- ERE instead of BRE
- text builtins should return their result *quoted*.

However, a C implementation of m4sugar is not the best (=more urgent)
service GNU M4 can give to M4sugar: call-stack introspection would be
much better, and would considerably speed up Autoconf (I bet of 30%).
Basically, everything related on m4_expansion_stack should be provided
by m4 itself.