Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:53:32 -0700

Paul Eggert wrote:

the project could suddenly stop building on systems it used to build on
because that compiler doesn't support all C99 features.

That's fine, for projects that want to assume C99.  Or perhaps I'm
misunderstanding your scenario?

Nope, you've understood it properly. I have had more time to think about it, and I now agree that the way to go is for the configure script to check for the specific "beyond C89" features that the project wants to use. If the project manager (wrongly) tells the developers that they can use any C99 feature they want, then the users of that project will be stuck with trying to build it on systems that may have only partial C99 compliance. As Bob has already said, that's going to be more common than not right now, and for the foreseeable future.