Re: [gnu.org #216731] autoconf.ps format and printing problems

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #216731] autoconf.ps format and printing problems
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:04:23 -0800

"Justin Pence via RT" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm Justin Pence, one of the webmasters. Got a mail that I think
> should be forwarded to you guys.

Thanks, but is there any documentation for how to put GNU manuals
online?  I couldn't find any.

Anyway, I have updated the autoconf web pages repository at
<http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/autoconf/?cvsroot=Web> but to
be honest I don't have a clue as to how this gets propagated to the
web pages visible at <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/>.

Nor could I convince "make" to generate all the different formats
that the GNU webmasters seem to want for the documentation.
I settled for the following single files:

   autoconf.dvi.gz
   autoconf.info.gz
   autoconf.pdf
   autoconf.ps
   autoconf.ps.gz
   index.html

The automatically-generated HTML files were missing the proper copyright
notices, so I thought it better to omit them.

Anyway, the original requester can find a PDF version here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/autoconf/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.59/autoconf.pdf?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=Web

although I admit that this is not a very satisfactory way to
distribute documentation.