Re: AC_CHECK_HEADERS works but AC_SEARCH_LIBS does not

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_HEADERS works but AC_SEARCH_LIBS does not
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:25:27 +0100

Sam Steingold wrote:

> checking for pari/pari.h... yes
> configure:2970: gcc -o conftest.exe -g -O2   conftest.c -lpari   >&5
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.3/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lpari
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

On many platforms, gcc by default adds /usr/local/include to the includes
search path but not /usr/local/lib to the libraries search path. I consider
this a bug in gcc. On other platforms, these search paths are fixed by
the gcc port maintainers.

There is/was a similar problem also for the $prefix/include and $prefix/lib
directories, where prefix is the one where gcc itself is installed. I don't
know whether this is fixed now.

> libpari.dll -> libpari-2.2.dll

Apparently the cygwin maintainers haven't been paying attention to this
problem.

Bruno