Re: multiline output variables.

From: Dan Manthey
Subject: Re: multiline output variables.
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:53:05 -0000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Stepan Kasal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You decided to use 2), which is the most correct solution.  Unfortunately,
> the performance penalty may be high.  I'm afraid it's to high to be worth it.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

> I think that if we choose a sufficiently unusual delimiter, we can go with
> it.  I suggest that we use the delimiter "@!_!#_ \n" (the last two characters
> are space and newline).

Sounds like a good solution.  Note that the post processing can transform
the delimiter pretty arbitrarily, so there's no need for it to be the same
at both ends.  This may allow a choice of two things that're even less
likely.

> - use  grep -c 'DELIM$'  to check that the file contains the right number
> of delimiters.  If this check fails, issue an error message explaining that
> the repacement text cannot contain "DELIM\n".

This is an excellent idea.

> I think this solution is general enough for practical purposes, yet it
> presents no slowdown of configure run.
>
> Dan, would you volunteer to rewrite your patch along this suggestion?

Yes, I'll clean up my code as per other suggestions, document it, and
implement the above, hopefully in the next day or two.

-Dan