Re: Fw: bug in texi2dvi, and hack patch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fw: bug in texi2dvi, and hack patch
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:45:00 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Ben Pfaff <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:58:39 -0800
>
> >> I have had Windows systems refuse to execute .exe files that were
> >> mounted off a NetApp until I switched over to a Unix system and
> >> did a chmod +x.
> >
> > This is an exception, specific to some network software.  Native
> > Windows filesystems don't have an executable bit, AFAIK.
>
> There was no special network software installed on the machine in
> question.

Then what is NetApp?

> If some Windows systems need an executable bit to run programs on
> some filesystems, why not test for the executable bit?

I cannot answer this until you explain why Windows refused to run the
executable off a mounted volume.  AFAIK, Windows doesn't have the
notion of a file being executable, so it's not clear to me how the
Unix executable bit succeeded in preventing Windows from running it.
It could well be a bug in the software used to mount the volume, in
which case I'm not sure we would wish to punish everyone else.